With so much to do and explore for all ages, you'll wonder why you've never visited before. GOLD WINNER Small Visitor Attraction of the Year, Cornwall Tourism Awards 2012.
telegraph (Oxford English Dictionary definition)
noun a system or device for transmitting messages from a distance along a wire, especially one creating signals by making and breaking an electrical connection.
verb 1 send a message to by telegraph. 2 send (a message) by telegraph. 3 convey (an intentional or unconscious message) with facial expression or body language.
Porthcurno valley, in the far west of Cornwall, was the hub of international cable communications from 1870-1970 and a training college for the communications industry until 1993.
In WWII secret tunnels were dug by Cornish miners to house an underground building and the entire telegraph operations. These bomb proof/gas proof tunnels provided 14 secure cables out of the UK to its allies.
Learning is at the heart of everything we do. Click to find out more about:
Family activities for all
PhD students and academic researchers involved in researching in the archives on several projects
- Porthcurno seeks Chief Executive >
- Porthcurno archive closes temporarily for relocation >
- Student TV crew reports for BBC from Telegraph Museum >
- Peer into the Porthcurno archive each week with Facebook >
- £150,000 Coastal Communities Fund for Telegraph Museum development >
- GOLD for Telegraph Museum at Cornwall Tourism Awards >